Thursday, April 5, 2012

4-5-12

Day 15 of my Primal Blueprint challenge. BW was 245.8# this morning. for those that are counting that is 13.2# down in 15 days and it seems like pretty much all fat that is missing from the way my clothes are fitting and the measurement changes. Yesterday I tried my first Intermittant Fast of the program. I was a bit apprehensive about this because I'm a big guy and I had a pretty high intensity workout yesterday at lunch. Usually in the past I was getting hungry about every 2-3 hours throughout the day. Not the case anymore. Right at the end of the workout I had a banana to refuel my glycogen reserves ( I know a sweet potato would have been better but did not have one prepared ) then about 45 min later at 1:30pm I had a bowl of Bison chili that I had made earlier in the week. I didn't eat anything for dinner, just drank water when I got thirsty. Never got hungry either. This morning I got up still not hungry which was pretty exciting! Made a huge scramble with 1/2# ground bison with Emril's essence seasoning, salt and pepper, 1 kosher brat, Diced Carrot, 2 mushrooms diced, broccoli, onions, and 4 eggs. Topped with half an Avocado and some salsa. Yummy! Ended up being over 18hrs on the fast and no hunger! Would not have ever imagined this possible!

6 comments:

  1. That's awesome progress Aaron! I just received my parcel full of Primal Blueprint books last night. I opened then and gave them a quick flip through but I just finished a 16 hour workday so I wasn't much good for reading.

    Do you still watch protein levels a bit or do you find that you don't have to bother on this? I'm usually shooting to roughly keep mine at 200-300 grams a day depending on my activity. Just wondering if you throw in the odd shake here and there or just stick with whole foods?

    I also find my performance isn't the same unless I have a piece of toast with peanut butter prior to my workout. Without having read the stuff yet (I will over the weekend) is it okay to have any breads? I only eat heavy, multigrain type stuff.

    Thanks,

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jason! Glad your books arrived. I no longer have to watch protein levels I think I am getting plenty now. I just put my breakfast into fitday to see how it spec'd out and I had over 100g of protein in just that meal. This diet requires quite a paradigm shift though. Much of the calories do come from fat and protein as opposed the the majority of calories coming from processed carb sources that is the standard American diet. Lots of veggies, meat, and good fats. No grains or related products like bread. Peanut butter is out too but you could do a different nut butter if you like. Nuts are also good. I used to crave sweets constantly and had to fuel up before and after workouts. This has changed me though. Now I'm running on Fat as my primary fuel so I never run out. Before carbs and sugar were the primary and whenever those ran out I would bonk. When you get some time read the book and let me know if you have any questions.

      - Aaron

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. it sorta reminds me of it at a quick glance. ill need a diet after i finish school in august maybe you can help out. basically Squats and milk will work but id like to trim down the belly a little though while im at it.
      Parris

      Delete
    2. No dude not Atkins. Primal, basically Paleo. Maybe similar to Atkins in some respects but different in some key ones that make it a good fit for me. Its a functional long term diet I think for me, and I feel that there is some actual good science behind it unlike most diets.

      Delete
  3. Ill have to look it up, my diet has been crap, but i swear all i do is cook for the kids, i just have a hard time getting good things into myself. i cant wait to concentrate on eating again.

    ReplyDelete