Thursday, February 19, 2015

Training updates, etc

Just a quick update as to how things are going. Garden is coming along. Got the gate posts in the ground for the new fence and picked up the remaining steel for the rest of it yesterday. About half of the expanded garden plot has been double-dug and planted with some late winter crops like lettuce, broccoli, beets, cauliflower, spinach, etc. No spring stuff in the ground yet. Gotta love the Tucson winters with it already in the 80's some days here.




Training wise I have shifted gears. The plan I was working off of was a bit more than my current recovery abilities were capable of handling. The high tension levels of the above 90% gripper closes were also exacerbating shoulder tightness issue and upper back / neck tightness problems. So I took a few days off and reformulated a new plan. Training more often at a lower intensity level and lower volume. Added in alot more stretching and active shoulder rehab work to try and get my problematic left one good and loosened up as well as pain free before I damage it more. Will be mostly GTG and Ladders for awhile to see how this plays out based on the ideas behind this. It is pretty low daily volume per exercise in one workset but single workset stuff has worked for me before. In addition to adding the active shoulder rehab work in, I have added overhead press and bench which I haven't done much of since early 2012. Still hopeful to get an over 40 yrs above 400# bench again before I'm too old and broken to do it.

Starting point on the Bench was 5x135 on Monday and 5x95 on the Seated Overhead Press. Low percentage lifts both of them by the feel. Doing the lifts each day and trying to add a little weight til I hit my 5RM.

2 comments:

  1. It'll be interesting to see how that training plan works out. Looks interesting. Definitely a Pavel based thing. Your yard's looking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks buddy. I'll prolly know more in a month or so. Since I started the bench and other presses untrained I'm doing a little bigger initial jumps on those. I calculated out based on the details in the article and his 5# jumps worked out to about 1.5% per day decreasing percentage wise as strength was gained. Shooting for as close as I can hit to those numbers on Grippers and hub to start.

      Delete